Diversity and Inclusion
The Oregon Academy is committed to diversity and inclusion.
We encourage you to access resources to strengthen your knowledge.
- Diverse Voices in Dietetics archives (Food & Nutrition magazine)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (comprehensive info)
- Men in Nutrition Part 1 video (by Angel Planells) - origin stories of 21 RDNs (2 in Washington State)
- Cultural Foods of the #AAPI Community (by Angel Planells) - 7 RDNs
- Diversity in Dietetics RDNs of color directory
These Member Interest Groups newsletters are provided as a resource.
Access our May 2022 diversity webinar here.
Being more inclusive every day (Tips)
- APPRECIATE: Try to let people know they are doing great work.
- LISTEN: Show respect when someone is talking. Actively listen to those that are speaking without injecting. Non-verbally acknowledge what is being said.
- PAUSE: Take the time to really think about others’ opinions and ideas before you respond. Often, we formulate our response before the person has finished speaking.
- COLLABORATE: Work with someone new. It could even be someone in a different function or department. New perspectives could provide fresh ideas.
- AWARENESS: Think about personal biases. How are they playing out and impacting your decisions?
- CONNECT: Have lunch or take a break with someone new.