Diabetes Lifestyle Coach
- posted September 10, 2022
$19.05 an hour DOE
Guides CCH&WC patients in defining and working towards realistic goals to make healthy lifestyle changes. Works to empower patients to modify their current behaviors in order to improve their health and offer strategies for overcoming any challenges along the way. Assists patients with setting obtainable objectives, tracking their goals and discussing progress, providing education and helping to motivate them for continued action.
• Under direction of Health Education Manager, plans, implements, and evaluates diabetes prevention health education programs at Cow Creek Health & Wellness Center (CCH&WC).
• Screens potential participants for Diabetes Prevention Program, determines participant eligibility, and leads recruitment efforts for new cohorts on an ongoing basis
• Delivers the Prevent T2 curriculum, as designed by the Centers for Disease Control nationally- recognized and evidence-based Diabetes Prevention Program.
• Prepares for each class session in a timely manner and provides feedback to participants on their food and activity logs on a weekly basis
• Provides ongoing encouragement and guidance to program participants in pursuit of SMART goals
• Encourages ongoing participation of Diabetes Prevention Program graduates in monthly AfterCore maintenance classes
• Documents class participation and patient encounters in patients’ Electronic Health Record, under the supervision of a Registered Dietitian
• Assists with ongoing data collection for maintenance of accreditation standards for education department, including Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP), Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME), and any other CCH&WC accreditation.
• Develops and conducts health education/promotional presentations on health-related topics.
• Plans and implements events and other programs, including arranging for speakers, facilities, resources, and staffing as directed.
• Collaborates with CCH&WC medical staff and other departments to streamline education programs best practices, measures, and ensure requirements with day-to-day documentation are met and recorded
• Designs and develops brochures, reports, manuals, newsletters, pamphlets, resource packets, posters, and various training materials promoting public health issues and health activities.
• Assists with coordination of activities around Tobacco Prevention Education Program, Maternal and Child Health program, writing newsletter articles and assisting with social media campaigns
• Must be available to work flexible schedule including some evenings.
• Must be able to travel for work in outlying areas of Douglas County.
• Knowledge of basic health, nutrition and fitness principles; basic knowledge of type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes preferred
• Has demonstrated experience with facilitating delivery of health education in written, digital and public meeting settings.
• Has demonstrated experience with event planning and management.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals from different cultural backgrounds, including the ability to understand the behaviors of other individuals and groups, and to make appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to guide behavior change without prescribing personal actions or solutions
• Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and in group settings, using a variety of media.
• Active listening skills
• Knowledge of educational principles of adult learning theory, group dynamics, behavior change concepts, and empowerment models, motivational interviewing techniques, learning styles, teaching strategies and lifestyle coaching techniques preferred.
• Prefer some marketing experience and experience with Windows-based computer programs.
Please attach a resume when applying